Saturday, March 26, 2011

Guest Post by Julia

I just looked through the training programs. Is it bad that the beginner one looks really hard to me? I'm using the schedule Dad made for me when I ran my first half marathon. I asked him to design it for a couch potato who wanted to go from no fitness to finishing a half marathon in about 5 months. I run 3 times a week. 2 short and one long. At the beginning, one of my short runs includes hills. Towards the end, one of my short runs is done at a slightly faster pace.

I think the key for me is consistency. I have a problem with rationalizing run avoidance. This time, I am proud to say, I haven't missed one yet. It's really been helping me with stress management. I have also learned a new technique to improve pace....go to the gym just before closing so that you have to push yourself to finish the distance in time. Okay, it might be a good way to get an injury, so follow my advice at your own risk, but take it from me....it can really inspire some fast running :)

In closing....here are my current top 3 running music picks. I have no shame:
1. Baby by Justin Bieber
2. I'm Running by Mistress Barbara
3. Fire Burning by Sean Kingston

One more thing I found amusing about the training programs on the half marathon website....they all included runs after the race. I don't know about you, but I usually take at least a one month hiatus from all things gym related after I finish one of these things :)

3 comments:

pamedgar said...

Hey Julia,

I agree that the 'beginner' training schedule looks tough! I mostly run just 3 days of the week too; 2 short, one longer. I like two of your songs for running: BUT, "Baby" uh, not so much! Try these: Mercy by Duffy, I like it by Enrique Inglesias and Candyman by Christine Aguilera! (helps with the pace!) A. Pam :)

Maggie Shamro said...

i'm embarrassed to call you my sister - now that i know you listen to justin bieber... yikes. my personal faves would be:

a) love man - otis redding
b) ramrod - bruce springsteen
c) shipping off to boston - dropkick murphys
d) hard on the ticker - tim mcgraw (get it - cuz running is hard on my ticker??)

good luck, everyone!! keep running!!

Anonymous said...

Julia, I can't believe you actually admitted to listening to Justin Bieber (but considering the number of lame teen-ish romantic comedies in your DVD collection, I can't say I'm *that* surprised). But congratulations on completing all the runs on your schedule!!!

I have been taking a brief hiatus from running due to some bad asthma, and also we were taking care of our niece and nephew for a while. But I'm scheduled to do a run tomorrow night.

I haven't listened to music while running for a while (through the winter I've been running with a friend and we're busy solving all the world's problems that we can on a 5 K run). The last time I ran with any musical device it was a walkman that I used to put cassette tapes that my Dad made in, so any musical suggestions I would have (like Rossini overtures) would probably be as unpopular as Justin Bieber...

Keep up the good work, everybody!
-From Keely