Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Stick to your plan man!

Just three weeks to go! Now is the time to stay focused and be smart. With only three weeks go to, stay committed to your plan and DO NOT try to make up missed workouts. Years back when I was fitness training, the most common mistake people would make leading up to a race was increasing mileage or intensity beyond the plan. Stick to your plan and if you are fighting illness or any sort of physical injury, scale it back. It's better to be slightly under trained as opposed to over trained, fatigued and at increased risk for injury. So if you'r doing the run/walk program, you should be gearing up to do a 16km this weekend, if you're doing the beginner run program - it's 18km and if you're doing the intermediate program, it will be 16km.

A few tips for your last long run and the next three weeks:

1. Run as though it was race day. The Scotia Bank 1/2 starts at 7:00am. My body is stiff as a board at this hour so this weekend, I'm going to make every effort to start my run this early. This is not an easy feat with the little amount of sleep I get. I'll be thinking of all of you out there with me!

2. Eat like it was race day. Eat what you would normally eat before a long run and give yourself enough time to digest. Carbohydrates (skip the bran buds for your pre-race meal though) and small serving of protein will do. During the run, use the fuel that you plan to use during the race.

3. Get your nutrition sorted. If what you ate for breakfast (above) did not sit well with you, practise eating different things for your remaining training runs. Same goes for fuel you plan on using during the run.

4. Check your shoes. Are your shoes on their last treads? Buy new ones now not the day before the race. Buy the brand you're wearing now if you've had success with them.

5. Get some rest. As you lead up to race day, make sure your easy days are easy and your rest days are truly rest days. A four hour hike plus 4 hours of yard work does not constitute a rest day.

And most of all, enjoy your runs. Celebrate that you are healthy enough to run. One year ago, I could barely hike 30 minutes without pain. Yesterday, I did a 21km trail run. It was awesome. My legs feel a bit toasted today but I am loving the fact that I am able to explore my neighbourhood - places that I could never travel by car - by foot.  When I'm running, it's a time where I feel like I can be fully present. I can absorb and observe what's around me or just listen to the rhythm of my breath.  I celebrate that my health allows me to move my body in this way and do something I love - to run.

I hope you are loving it too!

1 comment:

pamedgar said...

Thank you for this inspiration! I needed it!
Love Mom :)